The Center for Leadership, Citizenship, and Democracy (CLCD) undertakes research, training and extension, and consultancy on leadership, citizenship, civil society, and democracy and its institutions. It provides fellowship grants to experts and leaders in the academe, government, business and industry, and civil society. The Center disseminates its studies and other outputs through publications.
The CLCD is a resource center on leadership, citizenship and civil society, and democracy that uses its knowledge, expertise, skills, and resources to assist leaders, citizens, and civil society organizations enhance their capacities in performing their roles, duties and responsibilities. The Center undertakes and/or provides support for endeavours that significantly contribute to making leaders and citizens more politically aware and socially concerned with public issue, and thus, enable them to responsibly participate in decision making. The Center promotes the values of public service, democratic governance and accountability among leaders and citizens in the context of free, peaceful, just and humane society.
Maria Faina Lucero-Diola, DPA
Assistant Professor and Director
Charlie E. Cabotaje
University Extension Specialist
Melanie G. Riva
Lydia E. Angeles
Ma. Loriza G. Odulio
Charlie G. Rivas Jr.
University Research Associates
Leonora L. Cortez
James M. Aliwalas
Jose V. Abueva, PhD
Professor Emeritus and Former UP President
Rizalino B. Cruz, PhD
Assistant Professor and Former NCPAG-PO Director
Ma. Oliva Z. Domingo, DPA
Retired Professor and Kalayaan College President
Career Executive Service Board (CESB)
United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
Commission on Human Rights (CHR)
Commission on Elections (COMELEC)
International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES)
Services and Current Agenda
- Conduct of research
- Design and management of customized programs on capacity enhancement and competency building
- Facilitation, sponsorship and management of knowledge exchange and learning events
- Publication of research outputs
- Provision of expert advice and technical assistance
- Assessment of Presidential Leadership and Administration
- Capacity Training for Civil Society Organizations
- Co-production, Governance Network Administration, and Citizen’s Participation
- Climate Change Adaptation and Sustainable Development
- Gender and Leadership
- Human Rights-based Governance
- Inclusive Democracy (Children and Youth, Indigenous People, Millennium Development Goals, Peace Process)
- Open Government Partnership
- Social Accountability
- Valuing Volunteering
- Women in Politics and Government
- PAMANA ANTHOLOGY
- Issues, Problems and Progress in Filipino Economic Development (Mga Isyu, Problema, at ang Kaunlarang Pang-ekonomiya sa Pilipinas)
- World War II and the Japanese Occupation (Ang Ikalawang Digmaang Pandaigdig at ang Pananakop ng mga Hapon)
- Social Justice and Human Rights in the Philippines (Katarungang Panlipunan at Karapatang Pantao sa Pilipinas)
- The Filipino Press and Media, Democracy and Development (Ang Pamahayagan at Midya, Demokrasya at Kaunlaran sa Pilipinas)
- Filipino Nationalism: Various Meanings, Constant and Changing Goals, Continuing Relevance (Nasyonalismong Pilipino: Sari-saring Kahulugan, Patuloy at mga Nagbabagong Layon, at Dumadaloy na Kaugnayan)
- The Making of Filipino Nation and Republic: from Barangays, Tribes, Sultanates, and Colony (Ang Pagbubuo ng Bansa at Republika ng Pilipinas: mula sa mga Barangay, Tribu, Sultanato, at Kolonya)
- The Philippines Into the 21st Century: Future Scenarios for Governance, Democracy, and Development (Ang Pilipinas Tungo sa Ika-21 Dantaon: Pangkinabukasang mga Senaryo para sa Pamamahala, Demokrasya at Kaunlaran)
- RESEARCH REPORT SERIES
- CLCD Research Report Series Number 2: Profiles of Political Leadership at the Local Government Level
- CASE STUDIES
- Citizen Participation in Rural Poverty Alleviation
- Community-Managed Health Systems in Plan Partner Communities
- Participation of Civil Society in Kusog-Baga Program
- U.P. PUBLIC LECTURES ON THE PHILIPPINE PRESIDENCY AND ADMINISTRATION
- The Aquino Presidency and Administration
- The Ramos Presidency and Administration
- The Macapagal-Arroyo Presidency The Macapagal-Arroyo Presidency and Administration: Record and Legacy
- Constitutional Commissions
- PHILIPPINE NON-PROFIT SECTOR SERIES
- Case Studies on the Impact of Nonprofit Organizations
- Democratizing Governance in the Philippines
- Good Governance and Civil Society
- Good Mobilizing for Active Citizenship
- Beyond the Household: Giving and Volunteering in Six Areas in the Philippines
- Extending the Self: Volunteering as Pakikipagkapwa
- Validation of Nominees in the Search for Outstanding Career Executive Service Award/Gawad CES
- Academic Leadership: A Collection of Speeches of Dr. Jose V. Abueva on academic leadership
- Indigenous Peoples Governance: Policy Reform Agenda Brief
- Gawad Kalinga Profiling Research on Good Citizenship Values (Two Volumes) by Dr. Josefina Atienza-Salvaña (2009
- Research and Compilation of Annotated Bibliographies on Citizenship/Civic Education
- Presidential Candidates Report Card
- Electoral System Assessment: COMELEC National and Local Leadership
- Commission on Elections (COMELEC) Electoral Reform Project
- Barangay Human Rights Action Center (BHRAC) Project
- LEADERSHIP FORA AND WORKSHOPS
- “The Philippines’ Most Wanted: Leaders with Integrity”, A Forum on Transformational Leadership
- “Irrational Decision Making”, Lecture by Dr. Edwin J. Portugal
- Power, Influence and Empowerment: A Framework for Leaders, Lecture by Dr. Edwin J. Portugal
- Strategic Planning: A Tool for Leaders, Lecture by Dr. Edwin J. Portugal
- Citizen Participation in the Democratic Process, Lecture by Dr. Lyle Wray
- Video showing: Mga Dakilang Lakan
- Seminar on Political Leadership at the Local Government Level
- 8th Diliman Governance Forum on Civic Action Against Corruption – May 2006
- National Congress on Good Citizenship (2006-2008)
- 5th International Society for the Third Sector Research (ISTR) Regional Conference
- Revisiting NSTP and CWTS
- ToT Seminar Workshop for GK– 24-27 September 2007
- Launching of Gawad Kalinga Builders Institute – 25-26 August 2007
- Forum on Political Dynasty
- Forum on Inclusive Democracy
- May Bukas Pa ang Career Mo sa Gobyerno: A Symposium on the Issues and Challenges on Career Development in Government and How They can be Addressed
- Electoral Reforms
- COMELEC Strategic Planning Seminar-Workshop
- Training Capacity of the COMELEC National Pool of Trainors
- Electoral Reforms Initiatives
- Position Classification and Compensation Structure of the Optical Media Board
- Planning Workshop and Organizational Development of the Philippine College of Physicians
- Rapid Assessment and Rationalization of the Organizational Structure of the Isabela State University
- Training Program on Competency Enhancement in Advocacy
- CAPACITY BUILDING
- Supervisory Development Course for the National Meat Inspection Service (NMIS)
- Competency Advancement for Policy-Making and Engagement for Agriculture and Fishery Councils (AFC-CAPE)
- Special Course on Effective Legislation and Governance (LegisGov Course)
- National Police Commission
- Pagsasanay sa Lokal na Pamumuno at Pagpaplano ng mga Katutubo ng Zambales
- Pagsasanay sa Pamumuno ng mga Mayores sa New Bilibid Prison Medium Security Compound
UP Assessments of the Record and Legacy of Philippine Presidents
- The Ramos Presidency and Administration: Contemporary Views and Assessments vol. 2 (1992-1998). Jose V. Abueva , Victoria A. Bautista, Proserpina Domingo-Tapales, Ma. Oliva Z. Domingo, and, Eleanor E. Nicolas, editors, 2006. 538 pp.
- The Macapagal –Arroyo Presidency and Administration: Record and Legacy (2001-2004). Vol. 1
of the Third U.P. Public Lecture Series. Jose V. Abueva, Victoria A. Bautista, Proserpina Domingo-Tapales, Ma. Oliva Z. Domingo, and Eleanor E. Nicolas, editors, 2004. 765 pp.
- Alternative Views and Assessments of the Macapagal-Arroyo Presidency and Administration: Record and Legacy (2001-2004). Vol. 2 of the Third U.P. Public Lecture Series. Jose V. Abueva , Victoria A. Bautista, Proserpina Domingo-Tapales, Ma. Oliva Z. Domingo, and Eleanor E. Nicolas, editors, 2004. 636 pp.
- The Ramos Presidency and Administration: Record and Legacy (1992-1998). Vol. 1 of the Second U.P. Public Lecture Series. Jose V. Abueva, Concepcion P. Alfiler, Ma. Oliva Z. Domingo, Eleanor E. Nicolas, editors, 1998. 756 pp.
- The Aquino Presidency and Administration (1986-1992): Contemporary Assessments and “The Judgment of History.” Vol. 2 of the First U.P. Public Lecture Series. Jose V. Abueva and Emerlinda R. Roman, editors, 1993. 509 pp.
- Corazon C. Aquino: Early Assessments of Her Presidential Leadership and Administration and Her Place in History, International Edition. Jose V. Abueva and Emerlinda R. Roman, editors, 1993. 334 pp.
- The Aquino Administration: Record and Legacy (1986-1992). Vol. 1 of the First U.P. Public Lecture Series. Jose V. Abueva and Emerlinda R. Roman, editors, 1992. 399 pp.
PAMANA: The U.P. Anthology of Filipino Socio-Political Thought Since 1872
- Issues, Problems and Progress in Filipino Economic Development. Felipe M. Medalla, editor, 2012. 626 pp.
- The World War II and the Japanese Occupation. Ricardo T. Jose, editor, 2006. 375 pp.
- Social Justice and Human Rights in the Philippines. Alberto T. Muyot, editor, 2003. 920 pp.
- The Filipino Press and Media, Democracy and Development. Luis V. Teodoro and Melinda Q. de Jesus, editors, 2001. 261 pp.
- Filipino Nationalism: Various Meanings, Constant and Changing Goals, Continuing Relevance. Jose V. Abueva, editor, 1999. 990 pp.
- The Making of Filipino Nation and Republic: from Barangays, Tribes, Sultanates, and Colony. Jose V. Abueva, editor, 1998. 1,050 pp.
- The Philippines Into the 21st Century: Future Scenarios for Governance, Democracy, and Development, 1998-2025. Jose V. Abueva, Romeo B. Ocampo, Felipe M. Medalla, Ma. Concepcion P. Alfiler, Ma. Oliva Z. Domingo, Thelma B. Kintanar. 1998. 238 pp.
U.P. Assessments of Other Government Leaders and Institutions
- The Leadership and Governance of Constitutional Commissions: Self-Assessments and Alternative Views and Assessments (2004-2007). Ma. Oliva Z. Domingo, editor, 2009. 149 pp.
- The Civil Service Commission and the Commission on Audit, Self Assessment and Alternative Views and Assessments (2001-2004). Vol. 3 of the Third U.P. Public Lecture Series. Ma. Oliva Z. Domingo, editor, 2004. 108 pp.
- The Post-EDSA Vice Presidency, Congress, and the Judiciary (1986-1992): Self Assessments and External Views and Assessments. Vol. 3 of the First U.P. Public Lecture Series. Jose V. Abueva and Emerlinda R. Roman, editors, 1998. 298 pp.
- The Post-EDSA Constitutional Commissions (1986-1992): Self-Assessments and External Views and Assessments. Vol. 4 of the First U.P. Public Lecture Series. Jose V. Abueva and Emerlinda R. Roman, editors, 1998. 189 pp.
- The Senate That Said No: A Four-Year Record of the First Post-EDSA Senate. Jovito R. Salonga. 1995. 410 pp.
Civil Society and Political Participation
- What They Contribute: Case Studies on the Impact of Nonprofit Organizations. Ledivina V. Cariño and Dolores D. Gaffud, editors, 2007. 353 pp.
- Citizen Participation in Rural Poverty Alleviation. Victoria A. Bautista and Oscar Alfonso, editors, 2006. 161 pp.
- Good Governance and Civil Society: The Role of Philippine Civil Society Boards. Ma. Oliva Z. Domingo. 2005. 364 pp.
- Mobilizing for Active Citizenship: Lessons from Indonesia, Nepal and the Philippines. Ledivina V. Cariño. 2005. 120 pp.
- Democratizing Governance in the Philippines: Redefining and Measuring the State of People’s Participation in Governance. Emmanuel E. Buendia. 2005. 412 pp.
- Beyond the Household: Giving and Volunteering in Six Areas in the Philippines. Ramon L. Fernan, editor, 2004. 236 pp.
- Extending the Self: Volunteering as Pakikipagkapwa. Grace H. Aguiling-Dalisay, Jay A. Yacat, and Atoy M. Navarro, editors, 2004. 228 pp.
- Participation of Civil Society in Kusog Baga Program. Victoria A. Bautista, editor, 2004. 89 pp.
- Community- Managed Health Systems in Plan Partner Communities: An Assessment. Victoria A Bautista, Eleanor E. Nicolas, Lilibeth J. Juan, and Garie Briones. 2004. 178 pp.
- Between the State and the Market: The Nonprofit Sector and Civil Society in the Philippines. Ledivina V. Cariño, editor, 2002. 340 pp.
Leadership Profiles, Memoirs and Biographies
- Profiles of Political Leaders at the Local Government Level (Research Report No. 2). Perla E. Legaspi. 2007. 132 pp.
- A Journey of Struggle and Hope. Jovito R. Salonga. 2001. 473 pp.
- Presidential Plunder: The Quest for the Marcos Ill Gotten Wealth. Jovito R. Salonga. 2000. 435 pp.
- Admiral Tomas Cloma: Father of Maritime Education and Discoverer of Freedomland/Kalayaan Islands. Jose V. Abueva, Arnold P. Alamon, and Ma. Oliva Z. Domingo. 1999. 224 pp.
- Lorenzo M. Tañada as Others Saw Him: Contemporaneous Observations on a Filipino Leader and Hero. Jose N. Endriga, editor, 1998. 292 pp.
- The Odyssey of Lorenzo M. Tañada (available at the U.P. Press). Agnes Bailen. 1998. 376 pp.
- Eugenio H. Lopez Sr.: Pioneering Entrepreneur and Business Leader (available at Lopez Museum). Jose V. Abueva, editor, 1998. 447 pp.
- Asian Perspectives in Business and Management, Economic Success, and Governance: East Asia, Oceania, the Philippines and SGV. W. SyCip. 1996. 290 pp.
- Reinventing U.P. as the National University: Learning for Truth, Leadership and Social Transformation (Centennial Lecture). Jose V. Abueva. 2008. 616 pp.
- A Survey of U.P. Diliman Freshman Students’ Perception on Citizenship (Research Report No. 1). Victoria A. Bautista. 2003. 56 pp.
- The University of the Philippines Cultural Dictionary for Filipinos (available at the U.P. Press). Thelma B. Kintanar and Associates, editors, 1996. 1,044 pp.